Hi all, this is an introduction from me as your new Club Captain to a monthly newsletter for any current or upcoming events.
Coming in the near future:
- Opening day Saturday 17 th September
- Club Futures Sunday 25 th September 3pm, Martin Mackenzie Bowls NZ
- Representitive will present Bowls NZs past experiences and involvement in helping other clubs expand into a more futuristic sports operation and ideas he feels that may be relevant to what we are trying to achieve here in Taupo. I would really appreciate a good turnout of members for this please.
- Single entry name club tournament Tuesday 27th September
Last week with Jill and Annie’s enthusiasm an Intro to bowls day was successfully run with 22 possible new members. Much fun and laughter was heard rippling across the greens. Many thanks to the helpers that also attended and took control of demonstrating and setting up the new players on the greens.
Looking forward I am planning a “FUN FRIDAY” that will include social bowls at 5.30 (this is for friends, new bowlers, members etc.) from 7th October followed by pizza or fish and chips and drinkies.
New Members. We have had 5 join for the new playing year, Tina Jakes, Ron and Judy Houghton, Michael Owens and Priscilla McLean. Please make yourself known and encourage them in any way you can, with a smile a hello or some help out on the greens.
Bowls in Schools. Simone and I have met with some of the teachers from local schools. So far we have one school coming down on 26 th October, nearer the time I will be looking for members to volunteer to help out.
Kitchen duties. In Maureen’s absence Kirste will be looking for volunteers to cover tournaments, functions etc, please be approachable and happy to jump in and keep Maureen’s high standard going.
Coaching. Wendy 378 7293 will run individual coaching, just give her a call to arrange these one on one sessions. Liz with the help of Jack Giddy and Urshla Croft will be running from Thursday 13 th October 10.30 for approx 6 weeks coaching for anyone that wishes to be coached at whatever level.
In closing I just want to say a few thankyous to all the silent and invisible members that make our club such a success.
- Bevan Choat for his whiteboard/noticeboard updates and liaising with the local newspaper.
- Jim and his match committee for the behind the scenes planning.
- Vern for keeping the bar stocked and us all well watered, and keeping a firm and tireless eye on the outside functions he supervises along with his band of merry helpers.
- Maureen for keeping our waistlines well rounded.
- Wed Workers for their tireless efforts keeping the building and grounds in tip top
Yours in bowling
Stan Club Captain.
“If your skip wants an opinion, he’ll give it to you”
Lead “How much am I short?”
Skip “You ought to know you’re closer to it”